Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Accepting My Curves

I'm having a problem with the accepting my curves movement. I think it is fabulous to be good with where your body is at, but I think many are using the "Loving my Curves" movement to embrace unhealthiness. I have been overweight all my life. It has always been a struggle. I am not trying to be a skinny model type, I know I never will be. I am striving to be fit and the best I can be. For many years I was okay with being bigger, and it became a sort of excuse. A reason I couldn't do things, that eventually became an omnipresent reality. I had so many things on hold for when I lost weight, but I honestly wasn't putting any effort in.

The rub for me, and probably others, since I don't think my journey is that unique, was that being okay with where I was meant I didn't have to try to do better. My husband used to work at a place that had a sign that read "Good Enough is the enemy of Excellence." I was living a "good enough" life for years, but God promised excellence. Did that mean he would hand it to me on a silver platter? No, it meant I needed to go out and run the race that was laid before me, and in that race I would discover a deeper, more excellent relationship with Him. That doesn't make it easy.

Everyday I am walking in a new healing. My thought patterns are changing. The excuses are getting eliminated. This week I'm doing something I would have thought I couldn't do in the past. More importantly, because I was living in "good enough" I didn't really want to do it. So, what is it I am doing? Well, a few weeks ago I talked about Orange Theory Fitness, and I have joined them now. Twice a year they do what they call a challenge week, and this is that week. I had originally planned to do only Monday, Wednesday, and Friday this week, but every day is a different challenge, so I am going Monday-Friday.

Does it intimidate me? Heck yeah. Am I wondering how I'm going to do it? Definitely. However, this will give me all sorts of bench marks so I can check my progress in six months. I don't think it is chance that this is basically the first week I'm there. I believe God will give me the strength to see it through. I believe out of it He will create excellence. I'm excited to see how the week ends, and I feel like this is only the beginning of the fitness side of my journey.

1 comment:

  1. My story is different. I truly found being fat liberating. I always worried about my weight when I was younger and every window was a mirror. No matter how thin I was I was still "fat". I hated the obsessive thinking over my weight.
    When I got so sick my medications caused weight gain but Terry kindly told me he did not care what I weighed. So I enjoyed not worrying any more. Freeing...
    But Dad died a very painful death due to diet issues. And my Mother also eats terribly. I getting more and more health issues and finally I have decided that I must change. I am ruining the body God never intended to be so damaged. Isn't killing ourselves a sin? What honor does it give God to kill ourselves early or deal with healthy issues he never planned for us?
    Me. Well I am on a diet, and it's slow. I am not trying to lose a bunch of weight fast. I want learn to live healthy. I screw up; brush myself off and then keep moving forward. I feel thankful to be learning a new life. I applaud you for your work. Keep going. This must be life time changes for both of us. I am thankful we both are on the same journey...keep going....

    ReplyDelete

Wow, I dropped the ball--Sorry! I am back, and ready to share.

 It has been so long since I wrote a post here, 2 years and 5 months to be exact. My journey admittedly kind of stalled for a time. It never...